Iron Fist Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Who is your Favorite anime character and why?
The Top 10 SNES games EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 7:56 am by Fireescapeman

» The Top 10 SNES games
The Top 10 SNES games EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 4:37 pm by Fireescapeman

» Dead Frontier
The Top 10 SNES games EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm by MaxiPower

» Class3 and Class4
The Top 10 SNES games EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 pm by MaxiPower

» What song are you listening to at the moment?
The Top 10 SNES games EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:47 pm by Fireescapeman

» Want me to cover a piece of game music?
The Top 10 SNES games EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:34 pm by NecoMortus

» All Sniping Night
The Top 10 SNES games EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:50 pm by NecoMortus

» PC nominations.
The Top 10 SNES games EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:10 pm by Ulquiorra31

» Dream Job?
The Top 10 SNES games EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 pm by NecoMortus

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Top 10 SNES games

2 posters

Go down

The Top 10 SNES games Empty The Top 10 SNES games

Post by Fireescapeman Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:15 pm

This section is for all you folks to come in and talk about your top SNES games of all time. Explaining what it is that you love about the game and the reason you have for selecting it for discussion.

The first game I am gonna talk about is my number one SNES game of all time.

Super Metroid : As expected this is my favourite SNES game of all time and easily one off my all time favourite games on any console. Back when we first got our SNES back in 1994 this game came with the console along with Super Mario AllStars. I remember it coming with a huge players guide and as a child remember reading through it over and over again. The detail in the artwork was incredible in my eyes and I was immediatly in love with it.

Back Story: Your name is Samus Aran and you are a bounty hunter infused with the blood of an ancient race called the Chozo. Your family were killed on Earth by the leader of the Space Pirates, Ridley. The Chozo were a peaceful race who found and raised you as one of their own on their home planet Zebes. Due to the harsh enviroments on Zebes the Chozo had to infuse their blood with yours in order to survive, this also heightened your abilities and allowed you to use a lot of thier technology, mainly the Power Suit.

One day the Chozo were attacked on Zebes with the attack once again being led by the Space Pirate Ridley...or so it would seem. As it turns out a former member of the Galactic Federation council 'Mother Brain' was the mastermind behind the attack, whom immediatly set up her base on the now Space Pirate inhabited Zebes to begin experimentation on the Metroid lifeform.

As a bounty hunter hired by the Galactic federation you were ordered to attack and destroy MotherBrain, which Samus carried out on their first encounter. After a selfdestruct sequence actived you are left with no choice but to flee the planet to escape the blast.

Plot: The plot of this game picks up after Samus' mission on the Metroid home planet SR388 where she eradicated all signs of the Metroids, except for a Metroid hatchling. You bring the hatchling to the Ceres Space Colony so scientists can research the baby metroid for their energy producing capability. Not too long after leaving the Colony you recieve a distress call... CERES STATION IS UNDER ATTACK.

Objective: After returning to the Station you see Ridley make off with the hatchling and you immediatly follow him back to the planet Zebes, it would seem that it was rebuilt and once again you must infiltrate the planet and destroy Ridley once and for all.

Gameplay: As for the game itself, it was amazing. The intro music was creepy and really set the tone for the stlye of gameplay with each area having it's own fantasic theme.

The controls were very smooth, it was one of those games that you could pick up and easily play.

The graphics, enemies and especially the bosses were amazing and very unique, each one requiring a different strategy to beat. You could tell that a lot of thought went into the creation of this game, especially when you compared it to many of the other games released at the time.
The game is essentially a massive platformer and has no levels or stages to complete, once you land on the planet you can play it anyway you want. Although for beginners you'll find yourself playing a similar route the first time through but with so many weapons, powerups and special techniques to utilise more often than not you will never play the game the same way twice. Once you get some of the basic power ups you can choose what direction, route, boss and even powerup you want to challenge for next.
The game has a nice map system to help track your progress and uncharted areas which will in turn allow you to view the shortest and safest way to the objective. The map system would eventually find it's way into future Castlevania games and even on the 360's Shadow Complex.

Even today this game remains popular for speed runs due to the completion screen that tells you your time played and items collected, which challenges people to aim for the best time or lowest collection runs.

For me the game was perfect in every way, from sound, story, controls, bosses and power-ups.

I easily award this game a perfect 10 and if you haven't played the game before I demand that you at least try it out. A must play game.
Fireescapeman
Fireescapeman
Rookie
Rookie

IFG Score : 70

Back to top Go down

The Top 10 SNES games Empty Re: The Top 10 SNES games

Post by Ulquiorra31 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 am

Final fantasy 6 for me, what a game. I didnt play it until it was on the ps1, but the game itself was the same on both. It was just a fantastic game and even till this day is one of my fav final fantasy games. The characters are all great and all have their own special abilities, the espers which are summinded beasts where equiped in the menu and could be used to gain new abilities ang magic. There was lots of weapons and equips and it was just a fun story line to play through. The bad guy kefka was a legend and his laugh is very memorable, he is very twusted and sick and lives up to his bad ass reputation. The music in this game is also top notch, and it is recognised as Nobua Uematsu's greatest work ever. The snes wasnt the best platform for music production, Nobuo sumhow squeezed out a full orchestral score out of the software. This is just a special game for me from start to finish and for its age its a very long game and hours will be wasted. This is 10 out of 10 for me all day long
Ulquiorra31
Ulquiorra31
PS3 Moderator
PS3 Moderator

IFG Score : 179

Back to top Go down

Post by Fireescapeman Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:37 pm

As Final Fantasy 6 is my number 2 gme of all time I'll simply move on to my 3rd favourite SNES game.

Donkey Kong Country - Donkey Kong Country is another of my favourite games of all time for several reasons. If you owned a SNES then this game was a must have.
This was a game developed by RARE back when they where in their prime. As a company RARE was so far ahead of it's time, delivering a mix of great gameplay, graphics and music. Some of the best you would eer see on the console. Donkey Kong was a credit to thie company and it's success spawned many sequals, none of which would ever have the same feeeling that this cartridge produced.

Plot The plot for this game is simple. Donkey Kong goes to check out his banana horde only to find that it has been raided by the Kremings and their leader King K. Rool. Determined to get it back, he travels with Diddy Kong defeating the Kremings and reclaiming the banana horde.

Gameplay - The game is primarily a platformer, with a few aquatic levels thrown in the miz too. It is one of the finest platformers you'll ever come across as the controls are smooth as silk and very responsive. The game offers 3 different modes, single player, 2player team and 2 player conttest.

Single player puts you in direct control of both Donkey and Diddy in tag team action. Characters can sustain one hit before running off to the nearest DK barrel. If only one character remains and takes a hit then you will lose life and be sent back to the neasert checkpoint. If you can reach a DK barrel you can bust your team mate back out and take another hit.
Players can take a thrid hit if they are riding one of the 4 animal untis, Winky, Enquarde, Exprsso or Rambi. However unlike your partner if these take a hit they will simply run [or swim] in the direction you are facing and if you are lucky you may be able to remount them before they leave the stage.
2 player contest follows the same rules with players alternating between lives, one palys as the red team and the other as the yellow team in a race to the finish.
2 player team has both players playing together, one as Donkey Kong and the other as Diddy Kong, they can swap positions at any time and if one takes a hti the other player will have to take over until he reaches the next DK barrel.

Scattered through the levels are 4 letters K O N G and if you obtain all four within a level you will be awarded with an extra life.
The game itself has many many hidden bonusus which still to this day I have not found them all, so there is plenty to do.

The boss fights are fun, you are required to hit each boss 5 times, however they each have their unique charactieristics, and the end boss has an epic boss scene, one of the most fun in any games on the SNES.

Graphics This game boasts some of the best graphics you'll ever see in a 2D game, even to this day the game looks amazing, from the Jungle levels, to the Treetop town levels, Ice levels and Kremkroc Industries. Character and enemies have some of the finest animations for 2D sprites that I have ever seen, with the unique moves from Diddy and Donkey even in the end sequence/

Sound This audio in this game is a credit to RARE and contains some of the best tunes possible on a 16 bit console, they utilise everything to bring you some of the best tracks you'll hear. From the opening scence to the aquatic levels, Kremkroc levels, Monecart levels and especially King K. Rool stage it is clear that no expense was taken in making these fine tracks.
The sound effects are another thing that is enjoyable, everything has a distinct sound and accuaratly depicts the character or object that the sound is suppossed to represent.

Score Overall I give this 9/10 with the only downside being that it is a very short game especially once you beat it a few times. The game has a high replayablitiy factor, especially considering you can select whatever you wish to play, especially when trying for 100% completion.

This game is a credit to RARE and one of if not their best works.
Fireescapeman
Fireescapeman
Rookie
Rookie

IFG Score : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down